Enabling the remote monitoring, management and control, capturing valuable insights and performance improvements, leading to energy savings, a lowered carbon footprint and enhanced public services
There is a general acceptance that LED lighting is now the de facto solution for street lighting, delivering an immediate energy saving of around 45%. Adding intelligence to the equation can further increase these savings by a further 15%. Intelligent lighting is achieved by replacing the photocell used for dusk to dawn switching with an intelligent node linking directly into and controlling the LED driver. The intelligent node is controlled via a central management system (CMS) and can store the LED light configuration, dimming profiles along with a calendar. This enables dimming profiles to be applied to individual lighting columns, complete streets or areas of a town/city. The intelligent lighting node also has a photocell ensuring fail safe operation if communication is lost for any reason.
The intelligent lighting nodes can include additional sensors to measure column alignment, useful to identify and generate an alert if a vehicle is in collision with a lighting column. This enables CCTV cameras to be enabled to identify the vehicle involved and also to ensure that the column integrity is checked and replaced if necessary. Other sensors available include GPS for locating where the lighting column is located along with support for communicating with Bluetooth sensors e.g. lighting column panel – generating an alert if an unauthorized and hazardous entry is made.
Intelligent street lighting enables Local Authorities to reduce maintenance costs through real-time fault monitoring and by using detailed operational intelligence to improve day-to-day effectiveness and planning.
- Reduced energy usage delivers savings of up to 30%
- Progressive dimming delivers consistent lighting levels and eliminates unnecessary energy use
- Greater reliability and optimised maintenance through actionable insights and dashboards
- Reduced carbon footprint, reducing light pollution and the environmental impact.
- Increased control enables operators to respond quickly to specific events, helping create safer environments
- Real-time updates and notifications allow early resolution of faults and reduce manual inspections